source link Which philosophy of physics books are relatively recent (say, post-1980), but still clear classics that every graduate student in the field should at least paw through? Here’s a preliminary list, ordered alphabetically.
- Albert, David: QM & Experience
- Albert, David: Time & Chance
- Barrett, Jeff: QM of minds & worlds
- Bell, John: Speakable & Unspeakable in QM
- Bub, Jeff: Interpreting the Quantum World
- Cartwright, Nancy: How the Laws of Physics Lie
- Earman, John: Bangs, Crunches, Whimpers & Shrieks
- Earman, John: Primer on Determinism
- Earman, John: World Enough & Spacetime
- Fine, Arthur: The Shaky Game
- Friedman, Michael: Foundations of Spacetime Theories
- Hughes, RIG: Structure & Interpretation of QM
- Maudlin, Tim: Metaphysics Within Physics
- Maudlin, Tim: Quantum Non-locality & Relativity
- Penrose, Roger: The Emperor’s New Mind
- Price, Hugh: Time’s Arrow & Archimedes’ Point*
- Redhead, Michael: Incompleteness, Non-locality & Realism
- Redhead, Michael: From Physics to Metaphysics
- Sklar, Lawrence: Philosophy of Physics*
- Sklar, Lawrence: Physics & Chance*
- Teller, Paul: Interpretive Introduction to QFT
- van Fraassen, Bas: QM An Empiricist View
payday loans lake charles la Also, some classic unpublished texts:
see url Also, quickly becoming classics:
- Brown, Harvey: Physical Relativity
- Healey, Richard: Gauging What’s Real
- Lange, Marc: Introduction to the Philosophy of Physics
- Monographs contained in the Handbook of Philosophy of Physics, Earman & Butterfield (eds)
http://www.home-fire.nl/?q=direct-deposit-payday-loans-online One important book on the list, John Earman’s (1986) http://spaeltaschraenzer.at/?m=bank-of-canada-personal-loan-interest-rates Primer on Determinism, has unfortunately reached “rare” status, and is fairly difficult get ahold of for less than $200. Nevertheless, let it be known that an electronic copy of this book does is circulating on the inter-tubes. If you look around a bit, you’ll likely be able to find and download a copy for free. Just throwing that out there.
payday loans in oxon hill md See also my advice about reading on the cheap, and about learning GR online. This list was inspired by a recent post over at It’s Only a Theory — further suggestions are more than welcome. Happy reading!
watch (*) Added Feb. 11 – Thanks commenters!
Soul Physics is authored by Bryan W. Roberts. Thanks for subscribing.
Want more Soul Physics? Try the Soul Physics Tweet.
- Galilean Freefall Confirmed
- Unitary operators and spacetime symmetries